"The Power of the Principal."
A principal can make a teacher’s life miserable:
By giving them the cold shoulder;
By spreading negative words about them to staff and parents;
By not supporting them in situations with parents;
By not supporting their discipline
Principals can load up classes with the most difficult and lowest performing students.
Principals can change the teacher’s assignment even though in LAUSD assignments are supposed to be selected by seniority. The on site union representative is most unlikely to stand up for a teacher fearing the above negative treatment. Calling the union is totally fruitless as the union leaders are most concerned about spending the dues and maintaining their perks, privileges, and pensions just like the LAUSD downtown bureaucracy that they totally mirror.
This has been going on forever.
The Kingdom of LAUSD—a top down pyramid (empire) with the serfs—teachers--at the absolute bottom of the pyramid.
Here are the proven ways to get sent to teacher jail:
1.Be at the top of the salary scale.
2.Be close to vesting in lifetime benefits.
3.Be an advocate for your students and their families.Read more
Sure, go ahead and hold teachers accountable for test scores. Even attach their raises to the scores. Make it so they can be terminated; but wait.
Who holds the principals, assistant principals, and deans accountable? What about the downtown administrators, the superintendent and his assistants, the local administrators, and the school board members?
No one holds them accountable! The school board hires the superintendent. He and the school board hire his assistants. He and the school board select the downtown administrators and the local administrators who in turn choose and support the principals.Read more
- Welcome back, I hope you all had a good summer.
- I know that you are anxious to get into your classrooms.
- There have been some changes, so me let me introduce your new staff members.
- Now you will sign the forms promising to report child abuse.
- Test scores. (Everybody groans)
- In and of itself, the test scores were a little up in some areas, a little flat in others, and lower in some.
- If you will turn towards the wall, our coordinator will show our scores with her analysis. (Teachers start to draw, cutout, and prepare materials)